Here's the step-by-step guide on how to purchase NFT Art, Music, and Collectibles on Portion with ETH, Coinbase, and MetaMask.
- Portion is a decentralized Auction House and Marketplace for people to discover, collect, and sell NFTs.
- ETH is the cryptocurrency used for all transactions on the Ethereum blockchain network, and it’s the currency you use to buy NFTs on Portion, in addition to our native token (Portion token aka $PRT).
- MetaMask is a browser plugin that is used as an Ethereum digital wallet. It is a browser extension for accessing Ethereum enabled decentralized applications, or "Dapps" in your browser! You’ll need to connect your wallet to Portion in order to buy and sell NFTs in our marketplace. For artists and creators, having your own wallet—with ETH in it—allows you to mint your art as an NFT. Revenue from your NFTs sale will go directly into your wallet. Note: there are other wallets available, but we prefer to use MetaMask.
- Coinbase is a cryptocurrency exchange. It is a secure platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and store cryptocurrency.
1) Sign up for Coinbase
- Head to Coinbase and click
Get Startedto set up your account.
- Set up your account, including verifying your identity.
- Connect your debit card or bank account so you can get verified and purchase ETH.
2) Get ETH on Coinbase.
- Once you’ve set up an account and verified your payment method, you can purchase ETH. When you connect a debit card, you can buy ETH immediately. When you connect a bank account, you can also purchase ETH immediately but it can take up to 15 days for the balance to appear in your account.
Buy / Sell, and select
- Make sure you purchase enough ETH to cover the purchase of the NFT you want, plus some additional ETH to cover gas fees for the transaction. Allocate $20 for gas to be safe in the event of high Ethereum network congestion.
Preview Buyto confirm your order and then select
Buy Nowto complete the purchase of ETH. Congrats, you now own ETH!! 🤑🤑🤑
- Coinbase will let you know when your ETH is available to send out.
3) Download the MetaMask browser extension and add ETH to your wallet
Your digital wallet, MetaMask, serves as your one stop shop to purchase, mint, and store your NFTs. Think of it like your portal into Ethereum blockchain "Web 3.0" applications!
Steps to Set Up your MetaMask Wallet:
- Download and install the MetaMask browser extension.
Create a Wallet.
- Create a username and password.
- Store your uniquely assigned 🚨🚨 Secret Recovery Phrase 🚨🚨 somewhere safe. If you lose this series of words or forget their order, you will lose access to your wallet and it will be unrecoverable. We recommend writing the phrase on a piece of paper and storing it in a memorable, safe, and secure spot. You don't want to end up like that guy on TV who lost access to his wallet holding $220MM of crypto.
- Confirm your Secret Recovery Phrase by placing all of the words in the correct order as they were assigned.
- Now, MetaMask is set up and should appear in your browser extensions.
- Visit MetaMask Support if you run into any trouble along the way.
Once your ETH is ready, you're ready to send it from your Coinbase account to your MetaMask wallet:
4) Send ETH from your Coinbase account to your MetaMask wallet:
- Open the MetaMask extension
- Hover over the account name at the top of the window, which will display
Copy to clipboard.
- Click on the account name to copy your address
- Paste your address in the
Recipientfield in the application (Coinbase) where you are sending your ETH or tokens from.
- Select the amount you want to send, along with any other necessary steps to complete and submit the transaction.
For a more detailed step-by-step breakdown on this process:
From the Coinbase website: In Coinbase, select
Send, and paste in your Ethereum wallet address from MetaMask in the
To field. Make sure you pasted in the full 42-character wallet address. If you mess this up and send crypto to the wrong address, it will end up forever lost in the abyss! Click
Confirm, and wait a few minutes for your ETH to transfer.
From the Coinbase app: Click
ETH Wallet, and you should see your ETH balance. To send ETH to your wallet on MetaMask, click
Send in the top right, enter the amount, and click
Continue. In the
To field, paste in your Ethereum wallet address. Click
Preview, confirm the amount, and hit
Send Now. It should take a few minutes for the ETH to arrive in your wallet.
Note: The user interfaces from other exchanges/wallets will vary.
5) Once you have ETH in your MetaMask wallet, navigate to Portion.io and Connect Your Crypto Wallet.
Instead of signing up for an account on Portion with an email and password, all you need to do is connect your wallet now!
Connect Wallet in the upper-righthand corner and a popup will appear. Choose from the available wallet options. If you followed the instructions above, click MetaMask. If it doesn’t appear, find the MetaMask fox icon in your browser extension toolbar. Click the
Sign button in your MetaMask to explicitly confirm your intention to connect your wallet to Portion.
6) Find the NFT You Want to Purchase and Buy it!
Click Buy and Confirm Your Purchase
A MetaMask notification will pop up prompting you to confirm the purchase amount and gas fees. Portion does not charge you any fees. Click
Confirm and then your purchase will be processed on the blockchain!
Note: The gas fees vary depending on the network congestion. Here's a good way to visually see gas prices given current network congestion. Keep in mind there is always an option to click
EDIT in the MetaMask window and choose "slow" option. It will take a little longer, but will cost less.
Once you've completed the transaction, head to
My Collection and you will be able to see your newly purchased NFT there!